Health is wealth – share your fitness and nutrition tips with other like-minded people.
When discussing the pros and cons of sugar and fat, carbs or fat, and fruits or vegetables (among others), it can be difficult to choose which is better or worse. As a fitness and health enthusiast, I’m often confused by the different perspectives and opinions about what’s good for me and what’s not. On the internet there’s a lot of conflicting information that can usually leave people feeling lost and unmotivated to make lifestyle changes.
I try to research as much as I can about health topics and I enjoy discussing these things with other fitness orientated people. I started talking to others who similarly feel a little all over the place when it comes to finding out information about healthy food and fitness. I follow a range of fitness models and Instagram users who share their fitness journey online, but because everyone is at a different pace, it can be hard to talk about the challenges with them.
Facebook can also be misleading. I discovered that WeGather has a topic on health, fitness and well-being, which interested me straight away. I joined a group that discussed sugar vs fat, and it was interesting to read all the diverse viewpoints, with no one necessarily trying to prove that their opinion and research was right or wrong.
The pros of these groups are:
- Learn more about your own health
- Talk to others who are similarly trying to find what works for their body
- Speak to members who may be professionally qualified as a personal trainer, dietician or natural doctor
- Make small lifestyle changes with no pressure
- Feel motivated by those who are on a similar fitness journey
- Learn more about food and what’s in particular dishes
- Discuss the challenges of cutting out different food and changing your diet
- Share tips and advice
- Share recipes
Talking about these simple health topics with everyday people is a great way to educate yourself about your health, what you’re eating and the way that different people go about these challenges. It’s also comforting knowing you’re not the only one who may be struggling with dietary changes or your fitness journey – we all know sugar is hard to avoid and not an easy task, except these days it’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the perfect idea of what we should look like. This is why I find Instagram and Facebook a bit more intimidating, as we’re confronted with this constant image of an ideal body and lifestyle. In reality, it’s not always the case and we don’t really see the truth behind a person.
Things that have helped me when chatting to others about health and weight:
- Keep an open mind
- Hold judgement
- Take a step back and reassess your own goals
- Write notes and learn from others
- Don’t be afraid to share your journey
- Be honest, there’s no need to pretend you’re the fittest of the bunch
- If you’re educated on a health topic, share it with others – you might just help someone
Chatting online in a group environment helps to reveal the hidden layers so we can all learn more about everyone’s personal journey, while sharing our own at the same time.