BrennonZurekBrennonZurek

It's a small planet, recycle!

I have a wealth of waste management experience spanning 20 years. I have worked in both the private and public sector on projects ranging from developing waste management strategies through to designing collection services and recycling centres. I am working to support technical innovation and take carpet recycling into new market sectors. I hold Chartered Membership of the Institution of Wastes Management and have a degree in Manufacturing Management plus a Prince 2 Project Management qualification.

10-Year Challenge Climate Change Edition

Drop file here to send
By host - BrennonZurek
The “10 year challenge” has been sweeping social media with people posting pics of themselves in 2009 versus 2019. The results have been everything from adorable to hysterical, but a new set of pictures are popping up to show a more somber side to what can happen in a decade — the terrifyingly rapid changes in our environment.
This discussion is set to be extendable. After it expires, the content will remain, but all guests will be removed. After that if any guests decide to join it, more days will be added to the discussion
BrennonZurek
BrennonZurek followed this discussion
shona.barlow
shona.barlow followed this discussion
Host
Admin
Others are taking the opportunity to address an issue that’s slightly more urgent than selfies: climate change. In fact, the #10YearChallenge appears to be the perfect hashtag to document the effects of an issue that’s usually measured over the span of months or even a few years.
7 mths
Host
Admin
many people are pointing out that humanity may have only one more 10-year challenge’s worth of time to act on climate change before it’ll be too late to meet the world’s goals.
7 mths
Host
Admin
I'm not as scientific or knowledgeable on these matters as many of you good folk, whichever side of the argument you favour.

However, given that this is the ONLY earth we have right now and the alternative options if we do somehow manage to eff it up big time, be that quickly or slowly, it might just be worth considering the possibility that at least some of the problem might be down to us and doing something about it.

Consider the consequences of the following scenarios:

Option A: It isn't down to us but we still do something about it. I'd say that's a Win - no problem. We still have earth as a viable, liveable platform for us and every other living thing.

Option B: It IS down to us and we do nothing ... Of course, we MAY find another cosy little planet for us all to go to, but I really don't see that happening any time soon.

Not to take care of our only available option is slightly reminiscent of that traditional cartoon character (also often now seen on YouTube) up a ladder, blindly sawing away at a branch ... without much thought as to exactly which side of the cut his ladder is.

Simplistic? Or realistic?
7 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
Host
Admin
We wanted to see mars but that doesn’t mean we have to turn the earth into it!
7 mths
karen-umbergerjon-caseyjanice-brown
karen-umberger, jon-casey, janice-brown and 7 other people started following this discussion
Host
Admin
We could all switch off our cars, take off our clothes and start living in jungles but climate change would still occur. We are currently recovering from an Ice Age and the temperature is only going to get higher. There’s nothing you can do
7 mths
10 more people followed this discussion
Host
Admin
Too many people on the planet overpopulation
7 mths
Host
Admin
The earth will do what it wants... early on it was volcanoes and explosions, then several ice ages, and now we’re here... the climate changes with or without us
7 mths
Host
Admin
Well no saga st if that isn't due too climate change it global warming brb if it existed that's humanity that's technology those people taking those pics wouldn't be able too without technology and we have use those resources for those things
7 mths
More than 50 people have joined this discussion.
Host
Admin
If we all combined our knowledge we would still be less informed than climate scientists. The earth is going through climate change caused by us. We need to fix what we can for our grandchildren.
7 mths
Host
Admin
Climate change is real in the people that are running the Earth they're all going to be dead way before we died because of their fuckedupshit
7 mths
Host
Admin
I think people are aware.... the problem is politicians don’t give enough of a fuck to properly regulate and govern to make any real difference because of the amount it will cost - unfortunately,
7 mths
Host
Admin
What we need is more Carbon Taxes! That will fix it.
7 mths
Type your message...